Target Shooting Range at Michaux State Forest
The Michaux Target Shooting Range is located at 150 Birch Run Road (39.945712, -77.451122) in Franklin Township, Adams County.
The facility offers a 70-yard rifle range with nine covered stations (including bore-sighting) and target holders, as well as a 25-yard, multi-distance pistol range with six covered shooting stations with target holders at three set distances.
Permit and Fees
A valid DCNR range permit is required. Pennsylvania Game Commission hunting licenses and permits are not accepted.
Permit and photo ID must be in possession and available for inspection by Michaux State Forest personnel.
Permits are available for purchase at Michaux State Forest District Monday through Friday between 7:30 A.M. and 3:00 P.M.
Michaux State Forest Target Shooting Range Permit Application (PDF) can be downloaded or found in the information kiosk outside the district office.
Completed application and payment (exact change or check) can be mailed to the district office or placed in the office’s permit mail slot on the side of the building.
Please note you must wait until you receive your permit before you can use the range.
- PA Resident $30 / Family $40
- Non-Resident $36 / Family $48
- PA Resident $15 / Family $20
- Non-Resident $30 / Family $35
Hours of Operation
- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday: 10:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
- Saturday and Sunday: 11:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
- Tuesday and Thursday: CLOSED
- Closed May 15 through the first Monday after July 4 for critical bird nesting season
- Closed during regular firearms deer season
- A valid DCNR issued permit is required to use the range facilities. Pennsylvania Game Commission hunting licenses and permits are NOT valid. DCNR permits are available for purchase at Michaux State Forest District office.
- Permit must be in possession of the permit holder along with valid photo ID when using the range. Permit holder must be present on the range with any person listed as a family member on the range permit.
- Do NOT use the range when it is closed. This includes during annual closures for critical bird nesting season and during regular firearms deer season.
- No alcoholic beverages, illegal substances, or use of any tobacco. This includes smoking, chewing, and vaping.
- No aggressive, disorderly or violent behavior.
- Shoot in appropriate target areas. No discharging of a firearm on the range except from a designated shooting station toward a paper target placed only on provided backstops.
- Firearms must be unloaded except while in the act of shooting. Possessing ammunition or weapons not permitted for range use is prohibited.
- Police your brass. Dispose of spent casings, targets, and other forms of litter on the range premises in the trash receptacles provided or by other lawful means.
- No firing beyond the red line. Stay behind the red line painted on the floor of the shooting stations.
- Single projectile ammunition only.
- Only 1 un-cased weapon at a time per shooting station. Muzzle must always face down range.
- No more than 3 live rounds in a rifle and no more than 6 live rounds in a handgun.
- 30-minute shooting limit maximum when others are awaiting a turn.
- High velocity .50 caliber or larger firearms are prohibited.
- No semi-automatic rifles on range during high use period (Labor Day until the Friday before the regular firearms deer season).
- Armor piercing, incendiary, explosive, bird shot, shot shells and tracer ammunition are prohibited
To ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for everyone, please follow our safety regulations:
- Dial 911 for emergencies.
- Shooters between the ages of 10 through 15 must be supervised by an adult (only one shooter per adult).
- Children under the age of 10 are NOT permitted on the range.
- Wear hearing and eye protection.
- Treat every weapon like it is loaded.