NextGen Advisory Council
The Department of Conservation and Natural Resources is working to engage individuals in participation on an advisory council to help:
- Inform the agency’s work
- Address diversity, equity, and inclusion issues
- Create lasting change and necessary conditions to ensure all Pennsylvanians feel welcome on public lands.
The NextGen Advisory Council will bring fresh perspectives to the department by listening to the viewpoints of younger participants.
Input from the NextGen Advisory Council will be used to identify new approaches to the department's programs, facilities, community programs, and other opportunities.
The goal of this input is to help the department find effective ways to offer recreation for all and to provide an ongoing communication channel between the department and this important segment of current and potential environmental stewards.
Apply to Serve on NextGen Advisory Council
The Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources is accepting applications for individuals to serve on the NextGen Advisory Council.
The council is seeking to develop a group of members with a broad range of cultures, experiences, and perspectives to inform the department's work and advance diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Benefits to council participants:
- Learn about careers in conservation: science, environment, nature, advocacy, etc.
- Tap into opportunities for outdoor activities and sports in parks, forests, and trails
- Meet and work with Department of Conservation and Natural Resources staff and leaders
- Gain leadership experience while enacting change to benefit the environment and outdoor experience for all
- Learn and strengthen professional skills including writing, presenting, policy development, networking, and more
- Help your community by working with the department to ensure equitable access
- Meet and collaborate with like-minded people who share the goal of inclusion in conservation and outdoor recreation
You do not need any experience in conservation or government to apply; rather, a willingness to share your ideas and work in a supportive community to promote conservation and recreation for all -- including future generations.
Council Participant Requirements
The council is accepting new member applications with priority given to applicants ranging from high school students to age 35.
Participation expectations for the NextGen Advisory Council include:
The council membership is a three-year commitment, with the option to serve an additional, consecutive term
Attend regularly scheduled council meetings held quarterly in the evening on the third Tuesdays of January, April, July, and October. Meetings are virtual and include educational presentations by Department of Conservation and Natural Resources staff, as well as discussions of topics and projects prioritized by the department and/or the council.
Participate in optional committees, networking, and special project meetings. These are also held in the evenings on the third Tuesday of the month and scheduled in between quarterly meetings to further council initiatives and encourage relationship building among department staff and council members.
Apply to Serve on the Council
If you are interested in serving on the NextGen Advisory Council, please
submit an online application by Monday, July 31.
If you have questions about the council or how to apply, please contact the department.