Begin Main Content Area

Camping at Delaware State Forest

Delaware State Forest offers a several different opportunities for motorized camping and primitive camping.

Motorized Camping is defined as overnight camping in or near the vehicle where the vehicle is to be used for storage or transportation. Primitive Camping is defined as overnight camping where all equipment is transported manually and where a motorized vehicle is not located near or part of the camping experience.

Motorized Camping

The district has 29 established sites for motorized camping where campers will find a:

  • Fire ring
  • Picnic table
  • Sign board

An approved permit (free of charge) is required for all motorized camping in Delaware State Forest. The sites vary in size; some may accommodate a vehicle and a tent while others may accommodate several vehicles or an RV.

The sites also vary in location and ease of access; many are accessible by sedan/car while others are better accessed by 4WD vehicles.

For information about campsite availability in Delaware State Forest and to request a permit, please contact the district office at 570-895-4000. The PA State Forest Campsite Map shows locations and additional details for designated campsites.

Campsite Maps

Delaware State Forest Designated Campsites Map (PDF) 

Edgemere Area Designated Campsites Map (PDF)

Owego Area Designated Campsites Map (PDF)

Snowhill Area Designated Campsites Map (PDF)

Group and Primitive Camping

Group camping (more than 10 people in a unit overnight) or primitive camping opportunities are available as well.

All group camping requires a Letter of Authorization from the District Forester, as well as a camping permit. Please contact the district office at 570-895-4000 with your group camping request at least two weeks in advance of your proposed trip.

Upper Delaware River Camping

Delaware State Forest has one established primitive camping area along the Upper Delaware River. Access to this parcel is ONLY by boat. There is no running water, electric, garbage removal, or toilets. The site is pack it in, pack it out. 

The campsite is administered by the National Park Service and a permit is required.

Permits can be obtained by contacting the National Park Service, Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River at 570-685-4871, and entering extension 6608 (there is no voice prompt to enter extension number). Callers can dial option “2” at any time during the message to speak with a park ranger for a permit.