Fishing at Cowans Gap State Park
The 42-acre Cowans Gap Lake offers excellent trout fishing and also has:
This activity or structure is ADA accessible. There is an ADA accessible fishing pier.
The South Branch of Little Aughwick Creek offers good trout fishing.
The 42-acre Cowans Gap Lake is open for ice fishing except for the ice skating area.
Ice thickness is not monitored outside the ice skating area.
Be Safe on the Ice
- Test ice thickness with an auger before recreating. Four inches of solid ice is the minimum recommended thickness for a single person. Seven inches of solid ice is the minimum recommended thickness for small group.
- Always carry safety equipment and know how to use it.
- Spread out. Crowds can put too much weight onto one area.
- Be aware of changes in ice thickness across a body of water. Perimeter ice is weaker due to shifting, expansion and sunlight reflecting off of the bottom.
- Avoid areas with protruding logs, brush, plants, and docks. These structures absorb heat, weakening the surrounding ice.
- Avoid areas with multiple or intersecting cracks, and standing water over ice.
- Venturing out on ice alone is not advisable. Take a friend along for fun and for safety.
- Wear a PFD (life jacket).
- Check the weather and plan accordingly. Several days with temperatures above freezing will weaken the ice.
Cowans Gap Lake Water Depth Black-and-White Map (PDF)
Cowans Gap Lake Water Depth Color Map (PDF)
Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission regulations and laws apply.