Mountain Biking in Elk State Forest
Mountain bikes may be used on most roads, including the gated timber sale roads in Elk State Forest.
Trails and other areas closed to mountain biking include:
- Natural Areas
- State forest district designated hiking trails
- State Forest Hiking Trails, such as the Quehanna Trail System and the Bucktail Path
Call the Elk State Forest district office for more information at 814-486-3353.
Electric Bike (E-bike) Use
E-bikes are permitted on approved mountain bike trails and roads, provided they meet all the following standards:
- Weigh no more than 100 pounds
- Do not exceed 20 miles-per-hour using the motor
- Have motors that do not exceed 750 watts
- Have fully functional, operable pedals
For more on DCNR’s e-bike policy, please see E-Bikes in Pennsylvania State Parks and Forests.