Mountain Biking at Elk State Forest
Mountain bikes may be used on most roads, including the gated timber sale roads in Elk State Forest.
Trails and other areas closed to mountain biking include:
- Natural Areas
- State forest district designated hiking trails
- State Forest Hiking Trails, such as the Quehanna Trail System and the Bucktail Path
Call the Elk State Forest district office for more information at 814-486-3353.
Electric Bike (E-bike) Use
Class 1 E-bikes are permitted on approved mountain bike trails and roads, provided they meet all the following standards:
- Electric motor less than 750 watts
- Fully functional pedals
- Weight not exceeding 75 lbs.
- Maximum speed less than 20 mph
- Does not have capacity to be completely self-propelled (must be pedaled to engage electric motor)
Class 2 and 3 E-bikes are not permitted on approved mountain bike trails and roads in state forests.