Fishing at Tuscarora State Park
The 96-acre Tuscarora Lake is a warmwater fishery. Night fishing is permitted.
This activity or structure is ADA accessible. There is an ADA accessible fishing pier at the boat launch.
Common species are:
Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission regulations and laws apply.
Ice fishing is permitted during the winter season with trout being the primary species caught.
Ice thickness is not monitored.
Be Safe on the Ice
- Test ice thickness with an auger before recreating. Four inches of solid ice is the minimum recommended thickness for a single person. Seven inches of solid ice is the minimum recommended thickness for small group.
- Always carry safety equipment and know how to use it.
- Spread out. Crowds can put too much weight onto one area.
- Be aware of changes in ice thickness across a body of water. Perimeter ice is weaker due to shifting, expansion and sunlight reflecting off of the bottom.
- Avoid areas with protruding logs, brush, plants, and docks. These structures absorb heat, weakening the surrounding ice.
- Avoid areas with multiple or intersecting cracks, and standing water over ice.
- Venturing out on ice alone is not advisable. Take a friend along for fun and for safety.
- Wear a PFD (life jacket).
- Check the weather and plan accordingly. Several days with temperatures above freezing will weaken the ice.