Fishing at Presque Isle State Park
Common species in Lake Erie are:
Common species in Presque Isle Bay are:
Bowfishing is permitted.
Popular shore fishing locations are:
This activity or structure is ADA accessible.
There are ADA accessible fishing piers, picnic pavilions, picnic tables, and grills at the East Pier and West Pier areas.
Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission regulations and laws apply.
Ice fishing is permitted on the natural ice. Popular locations for ice fishing are:
Presque Isle Bay
Presque Isle Marina
Be Safe on the Ice
- Test ice thickness with an auger before recreating. Four inches of solid ice is the minimum recommended thickness for a single person. Seven inches of solid ice is the minimum recommended thickness for small group. Ice should be six inches thick for iceboating.
- Always carry safety equipment and know how to use it.
- Spread out. Crowds can put too much weight onto one area.
- Be aware of changes in ice thickness across a body of water. Perimeter ice is weaker due to shifting, expansion and sunlight reflecting off of the bottom.
- Avoid areas with protruding logs, brush, plants, and docks. These structures absorb heat, weakening the surrounding ice.
- Avoid areas with multiple or intersecting cracks, and standing water over ice.
- Venturing out on ice alone is not advisable. Take a friend along for fun and for safety.
- Wear a PFD (life jacket).
- Check the weather and plan accordingly. Several days with temperatures above freezing will weaken the ice.