Boating at Canoe Creek State Park
Electric motors only; slow, no-wake speed
The 155-acre Canoe Lake has modern boat launching areas on both sides of the lake.
Boat mooring is available in the East Shore Day Use Area.
Iceboating is permitted on the natural ice of the lake.
Iceboats must have a launch permit.
Ice thickness is not monitored.
Be Safe on the Ice
- Test ice thickness with an auger before recreating. Four inches of solid ice is the minimum recommended thickness for a single person. Seven inches of solid ice is the minimum recommended thickness for small group. Ice should be six inches thick for iceboating.
- Always carry safety equipment and know how to use it.
- Spread out. Crowds can put too much weight onto one area.
- Be aware of changes in ice thickness across a body of water. Perimeter ice is weaker due to shifting, expansion and sunlight reflecting off of the bottom.
- Avoid areas with protruding logs, brush, plants, and docks. These structures absorb heat, weakening the surrounding ice.
- Avoid areas with multiple or intersecting cracks, and standing water over ice.
- Venturing out on ice alone is not advisable. Take a friend along for fun and for safety.
- Wear a PFD (life jacket).
- Check the weather and plan accordingly. Several days with temperatures above freezing will weaken the ice.
Motorboats must display a current boat registration. Non-powered boats must display one of the following:
- Boat registration
- Launch permit or mooring permit from Pennsylvania state parks, available at most state park offices
- Launch permit from the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission
Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission regulations and laws apply.
Adjacent to the swimming area, the boat concessionaire rents:
- Kayaks: single, tandem, and sit-on-top
- Stand-up paddleboards
The boat rental is open Wednesday through Sunday and holidays from 11:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M., conditions permitting, from the weekend preceding Memorial Day through the weekend after the Labor Day Holiday.
Advance reservations can be made by appointment by calling 814-696-3619.