History of Ridley Creek State Park
Within the park boundaries was a small 18th century village, which grew up around the site of a mill. Now known as Sycamore Mills, the area had been previously named Bishop’s Mill and Providence Mill.
The miller’s house, the office, library, and several small mill workers’ dwellings are currently used as private residences. The park area has been designated as the “Ridley Creek State Park Historic District” on the National Register of Historic Places.
Park property was purchased during the 1960s with Project 70 funds, and developed with Land and Water Conservation Fund moneys. Park facilities were dedicated to public use during August of 1972.
The park office is in the Hunting Hill Mansion, built by the Jeffords family during 1915. The mansion was built around a 1789 Pennsylvania stone farmhouse that forms the core of the building and serves as the reception center.