History of Poe Valley State Park
The park was named for Big Poe Creek, which flows through the valley.
During the mid-1930s, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built camp S-63-PA, which housed 200 young men who created the park and built many of the roads. The men completed the dam in 1937 with help of Works Progress Administration men. Several miles upstream from the park, a stone memorial marks the site of the camp, whose remaining structures are now used as a private hunting camp.