History of McConnells Mill State Park
The Old Mill
During 1852, Daniel Kennedy built the first gristmill on Slippery Rock Creek. Fire destroyed the mill, so he rebuilt it during 1868.
Thomas McConnell bought the mill during 1875, and improved it by replacing the waterwheel with water turbines and the grinding stones with cylindrical roller mills. As one of the first roller mills in the country, it processed corn, oats, wheat, and buckwheat for local customers.
At one time, this building was the hub of the community -- grinding grain that put fresh bread on every dinner table. Sagging profits and antiquated equipment closed the mill during 1928.
During 1946, the mill and surrounding property was conveyed from Thomas H. Hartman to the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy and later to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania with the wish that it be preserved for future generations.
McConnells Mill State Park was formally dedicated in October of 1957.
McConnells Mill Covered Bridge
One of two covered bridges in Lawrence County, it was built in 1874 and is of Howe Truss design. A registered National Historic Landmark, the bridge is on state park land but is the property of Lawrence County.