Tiadaghton (pronounced: ty-a-dot-un) was the name the Iroquois gave to Pine Creek, the largest tributary of the West Branch of the Susquehanna River. The exact meaning of Tiadaghton is a mystery that may be locked forever in the folklore of the Iroquois Indians.
Most of the land for the Tiadaghton State Forest was purchased between 1900 and 1935 from lumber companies that had removed the timber and wanted to dispose of the cut-over land. The Civilian Conservation Corps had seven camps within the Tiadaghton State Forest during the 1930's. The corps constructed and improved the extensive road system and built foot trails and other facilities.