Begin Main Content Area

Snowmobile Registration, Titling, and Insurance

Attention Snowmobile and ATV customers: DCNR recently transitioned to a new snowmobile and ATV registration system, and we are aware of certain issues that have arisen since this new system has been launched.

Please know that we are working to address these issues and have more detailed information that has been provided on the Dealer, Owner, and Registration sites.

We are sorry for any inconvenience that this has created and will keep you updated of our progress.

All snowmobiles in Pennsylvania need to be registered and titled with DCNR’s Snowmobile/ATV Section.

The money from snowmobile registration is used to:

  • Provide funding to administer the program
  • Maintain trails in DCNR’s parks and forests
  • Provide grants to profit and non-profit organizations for developing additional riding opportunities in the commonwealth

In addition, if you plan to ride your snowmobile on property that is not owned or leased by you, you must carry liability insurance. Proof of that insurance must be carried with you when you ride.

There are no minimum requirements or coverage standards established by DCNR or the Snowmobile/ATV Law for the liability insurance.

Snowmobile Registration

The type of registration you need depends on where you plan to ride your snowmobile:

  • General Registration -- This registration permits the snowmobile to be operated off the owner or operator’s private property. The registration fee is $20 for two years.

  • Limited Registration -- This registration is for snowmobiles used exclusively on the property of the owner. There is no fee and the registration does not expire.

In Pennsylvania, registration is not required for:

  • Snowmobiles owned by nonresidents covered by a valid registration in their state, province, or country that honors Pennsylvania registration

  • Snowmobiles owned and used by a federal, state, or local government body

  • Snowmobiles owned by a dealer who has been issued a dealer registration certificate and used only in connection with the dealer’s business

Registration Decals/Stickers

Snowmobile owners will be issued two identical registration decals and two expiration stickers to be affixed to the machine.

The two snowmobile registration decals shall be affixed to the snowmobile forward of the handlebars, one on each side of the cowling, or one on the outside of each trailing edge of the windshield.

An expiration sticker shall be affixed to the immediate right of each registration decal.

Snowmobile Titles

All snowmobiles in Pennsylvania must have a title issued by DCNR. The cost of a title is $22.50. The exceptions to this requirement are for:

  • Snowmobiles bought or acquired prior to October 23, 2001
  • Snowmobiles owned and used by a federal, state, or local government body
  • Snowmobiles owned by a dealer before and until sale
  • Snowmobiles owned by a nonresident
  • Snowmobiles owned by a Pennsylvania resident, but registered and used in another state

How to Register and Title Your Snowmobile

If you purchase your vehicle at a registered dealer, you will be issued a registration plate with a temporary registration decal. The dealer will handle your application for title and registration.

Applications for registration and titling of snowmobiles are available from:

The registration and titling application form, along with the registration and titling fees and sales tax statement, must be completed and sent to:

Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
Snowmobile/ATV Registration Section
P.O. Box 8553
Harrisburg, PA 17105-8553

Registration Renewals, Replacement Documents, Changes of Address, and Transfers

Please contact DCNR’s Snowmobile/ATV Registration Section if you need to:

  • Renew your registration
  • Replace lost or damaged registration certificates or stickers
  • Change your address

You must notify the Snowmobile/ATV Section in writing of any change of address within 15 days. Replacement of lost or damaged registration certificates, limited registration certificates, registration decals, registration plates, or expiration stickers is $5.

You also can perform these transactions online at the Snowmobile/ATV Vehicle Owner Portal, as well as obtain rider safety and user guides on operating your vehicle safely.

Snowmobile Title/Registration Transfers

If you are transferring the title of your ATV to a new owner, complete the assignment on the back of the certificate of title and obtain notarization.

The new owner must then apply for a new certificate of title and registration in his/her name. Do not remove the registration decal or plate from the machine.

Registration cannot be transferred from one owner to the next. If you no longer need registration because you have disposed of your vehicle in some way, complete the reverse side of your certificate of registration indicating the disposition status and listing buyer’s name (if applicable), sign, date and return to DCNR within 15 days of disposition.

You may request the remaining months of your current registration be applied to a new registration of another vehicle that you have acquired. The fee for this transaction is $5.