Begin Main Content Area

ATV Registration, Titling, and Insurance

Attention Snowmobile and ATV customers: DCNR recently transitioned to a new snowmobile and ATV registration system, and we are aware of certain issues that have arisen since this new system has been launched.

Please know that we are working to address these issues and have more detailed information that has been provided on the Dealer, Owner, and Registration sites.

We are sorry for any inconvenience that this has created and will keep you updated of our progress.

All ATVs in Pennsylvania -- except ATVs used solely for business or agricultural purposes -- need to be registered and titled with DCNR’s Snowmobile/ATV Section. The money from ATV registration is used to:

  • Provide funding to administer the program
  • Maintain trails on DCNR-managed forests
  • Provide grants to profit and non-profit organizations for developing additional riding opportunities in the commonwealth

In addition, if you plan to ride your ATV on property that is not owned or leased by you, you must carry liability insurance. Proof of that insurance must be carried with you when you ride.

There are no minimum requirements or coverage standards established by DCNR or the Snowmobile/ATV Law for the liability insurance.

ATV Registration

 The type of registration you need depends on where you plan to ride your ATV:
  • General Registration -- This registration permits the ATV to be operated off the owner or operator’s private property. The registration fee is $20 for two years. The owner is provided with a registration plate, an expiration sticker, and a Certificate of Registration wallet card.
  • Limited Registration -- This registration is for ATVs used exclusively on the property of the owner. There is no fee and the registration does not expire. The owner is provided with a registration plate and a card, but no expiration sticker.

In Pennsylvania, registration is not required for:

  • ATVs used exclusively as utility vehicles for agricultural or business operations
  • ATVs owned by nonresidents covered by a valid registration in their state, province, or country that honors Pennsylvania registration
  • ATVs owned and used by a federal, state, or local government body
  • ATVs owned by a dealer who has been issued a dealer registration certificate and used only in connection with the dealer’s business

Registration Plate/Stickers

When you register your ATV, you will be issued a registration plate for your vehicle. An expiration sticker to be affixed to the plate will be issued for general registrations. This registration plate shall be securely attached to the upper half of the rear of the ATV. No part of the plate shall be in line with a tire.

The information on the plate must be clearly visible from behind the ATV. It is important to clean mud and dirt off your ATV registration plate at frequent intervals so the information on the plate is clearly visible.

The registration sticker must be placed in a bottom corner of the plate.

ATV Titles

All ATVs in Pennsylvania must have a title issued by DCNR. The cost of a title is $22.50. The exceptions to this requirement are for:

  • ATVs registered with DCNR prior to February 12, 1987 -- these ATVs do not require a title until they are sold by the owner
  • ATVs used exclusively as utility vehicles for agricultural or business operations
  • ATVs owned and used by a federal, state, or local government body
  • ATVs owned by a dealer before and until sale
  • ATVs owned by a nonresident
  • ATVs owned by a Pennsylvania resident, but registered and used in another state

How to Register and Title Your ATV

If you purchase your vehicle at a registered dealer, you will be issued a registration plate with a temporary 45-day registration sticker. The dealer will handle your application for title and registration.

If you purchase your ATV privately you will need to supply DCNR with:

  • Completed application for registration and titling
  • Proof of Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
  • Fees
  • PA sales tax or proof that tax has been paid

Applications for registration and titling of ATVs are available from:

The registration and titling application form, along with the registration and titling fees and sales tax statement, must be completed and sent to:

Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
Snowmobile/ATV Registration Section
P.O. Box 8553, Harrisburg, PA 17105-8553

Registration Renewals, Replacement Documents, Changes of Address, and Transfers

Please contact DCNR’s Snowmobile/ATV Registration Section if you need to:

  • Renew your registration
  • Replace lost or damaged registration certificates or stickers
  • Change your address

You must notify the Snowmobile/ATV Section in writing of any change of address within 15 days. Replacement of lost or damaged registration certificates, limited registration certificates, registration decals, registration plates, or expiration stickers is $5.

You also can perform these transactions online at the Snowmobile/ATV Vehicle Owner Portal, as well as obtain rider safety and user guides on operating your vehicle safely.

ATV Title/Registration Transfers

If you are transferring the title of your ATV to a new owner, complete the assignment on the back of the certificate of title and obtain notarization.

The new owner must then apply for a new certificate of title and registration in his/her name. Do not remove the registration decal or plate from the machine.

Registration cannot be transferred from one owner to the next. If you no longer need registration because you have disposed of your vehicle in some way, complete the reverse side of your certificate of registration indicating the disposition status and listing buyer’s name (if applicable), sign, date and return to DCNR within 15 days of disposition.

You may request the remaining months of your current registration be applied to a new registration of another vehicle that you have acquired. The fee for this transaction is $5.