The name Nockamixon comes from the Native American phrase “nocha-miska-ing” which is Lenni Lenape for “at the place of soft soil.” Several American Indian sites from the Lenni Lenape Tribe are documented in the park area.
Secretary of the Department of Forests and Waters, Dr. Maurice K. Goddard, proposed the park in 1958.
The park was developed as part of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers plan for the Delaware River Basin.
Originally known as Tohickon State Park after the principal stream flowing into Lake Nockamixon, it was renamed Nockamixon State Park by the State Geographic Board in 1965.
The park officially opened in December of 1973.