Fishing at Moraine State Park
The 3,225-acre Lake Arthur is a warmwater fishery.
Common species are:
The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission stocks:
Hybrid striped bass
This activity or structure is ADA accessible. McDanels Boat Launch has an ADA accessible fishing pier.
Fishing piers, which also are great spots for children to fish, are at:
- Bear Run Boat Launch
- Park Road Boat Launch
Fishing is prohibited in these areas:
- From boat docks, launching or mooring areas, or within 100 feet of these areas
- Anywhere in the marina cove at Davis Hollow and the Crescent Bay Marina docks
- In the Game Propagation Area
- Off of the bridges
- Within 100 feet of the beaches
- Where posted no fishing
Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission regulations and laws apply.
Ice fishing is permitted on the natural ice of the lake.
Ice thickness is not monitored.
Common species caught through the ice are:
- Largemouth bass
- Yellow perch
- Northern pike
Conditions permitting, ice fishing is permitted in the Game Propagation Area from January 1 through March 15. Ice thickness is not monitored.
Be Safe on the Ice
- Test ice thickness with an auger before recreating. Four inches of solid ice is the minimum recommended thickness for a single person. Seven inches of solid ice is the minimum recommended thickness for small group. Ice should be six inches thick for iceboating.
- Always carry safety equipment and know how to use it.
- Spread out. Crowds can put too much weight onto one area.
- Be aware of changes in ice thickness across a body of water. Perimeter ice is weaker due to shifting, expansion and sunlight reflecting off of the bottom.
- Avoid areas with protruding logs, brush, plants, and docks. These structures absorb heat, weakening the surrounding ice.
- Avoid areas with multiple or intersecting cracks, and standing water over ice.
- Venturing out on ice alone is not advisable. Take a friend along for fun and for safety.
- Wear a PFD (life jacket).
- Check the weather and plan accordingly. Several days with temperatures above freezing will weaken the ice.
Lake Arthur Depth Color Map Layered (PDF)
Lake Arthur Depth Color Map (PDF)
Volunteers, park employees, and Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission employees have installed fish habitat structures throughout the lake. A map showing fish habitat project locations, water depths, and specific features of the lake is available at the park office, marina office, and the gift shop at McDanels Boat Launch.