Hyner Run State Park was originally developed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) S-75-PA Camp Hyner. Although most traces of the camp are gone, some remain as reminders of that era, like plantation number 10-44-8, which is the red and white pines planted throughout the park in 1944.
The park opened to the public in 1958 with the completion of the swimming pool, bathhouse, concession, picnic area, and restrooms. The camping area opened in 1975.
Many other improvements and maintenance to the park have been accomplished through the federally funded Youth Conservation Corps and the Young Adult Conservation Corps programs.