The park name honors Dr. Leroy E. Chapman (1881-1967) of Warren. Dr. Chapman was a State Senator from 1929 to 1963 and was very active in civic affairs.
Many community groups were instrumental in creating this popular state park. The first land for the park was acquired in 1949. Chapman State Park opened in 1951.
A dam was constructed near the old earthen dam of the Bucher Mill Log Pond, which dates back to Bucher’s Mill that was built about 1849.